Thomas Rohlfs is an Illustrator and Designer from Amsterdam, specialized in digital painting that can work in a variety of styles. He usually likes to combine his illustrations with graphic design for websites, print materials, and infographics.
(All artists have to answer the same 10 questions.)
1. First and Last Name
2. Where are you from? And where are you currently living?
I’m from a small village in The Netherlands called Koog aan de Zaan. It’s really close to Amsterdam where I currently live.
3. What’s your main influences?
Lately, I like to listen to Dr. Jordan Peterson’s lectures on biblical stories and mythology. The way he explains basically ‘the world’ in these podcasts is intriguing. I definitely use more mystical and supernatural elements in my work because of these talks. Go check him out!
I also check Instagram and Behance a lot, especially when I find myself staring at a white screen (or paper).
4. How was your path until this moment? How did you start?
As a kid, I loved to draw. When I became a teenager, however, I somehow lost the desire. I didn’t draw anything for years, but it always staid in the back of my mind.
When I got a job as a graphic designer the old feeling returned. At first, I felt rusty and intimidated by all the talent out there. I would often freeze when I tried to draw something and nothing would come out.
At first, I felt rusty and intimidated by all the talent out there.
It took me a long time to find my way again. The most important thing that helped me is deciding I didn’t necessarily have to share anything that I made. Maybe that sounds weird, but it really helped me out. It took off the pressure for me.
It has been a slow but rewarding process to get where I am now. Searching for my own style, improving my skills. And there is yet so much more to learn!
5. Where do you see yourself next?
At this moment I’m making concept art for an upcoming Dutch sci-fi movie. This kind of jobs I definitely want to do more of!
6. Knowing what you know now, what would be your advice for people in the same area?
Don’t be intimidated by other artists. Learn from them, get inspired by them. Just find your own way and enjoy the ride.
Don’t be intimidated by other artists.
7. Is there something you are terrible at :)?
Writing down personal stuff about myself.
8. Tell us 3 things you like
- Trips to Japan
- Taking a stroll through Amsterdam
9. And 3 things you don’t
- Messing up making dinner
- Being forced to work on somebody else’s computer
- Getting stuck in a group of tourists in Amsterdam
10. Last question, what are you listening at the moment (band, specific music or album)
I’ve been listing to La Dispute a lot, especially the album Wildlife.
Follow more of Thomas’ work at: