Mikey Dowdle is a young Motion designer from UK currently working at Art&Graft in London.
(All artists have to answer the same 10 questions.)
1. First and Last Name
2. Where are you from? And where are you currently living?
Bedford born, Reading raised, Dulwich dwelling.
3. What’s your main influences?
I find it hard to pinpoint these kinds of things, but I’d probably say music, my peers and wanting to try new things.
4. How was your path until this moment? How did you start?
My interest in graphic design and animation really started in my teens with early flash animations on websites like Newgrounds.com. I also found my webcam had a stop motion feature around a similar time and made lots of crappy little clay animations with it. I then started playing in bands, so in what seems to be quite a typical route for many graphic designers, I began doing the logos, websites and the like.
This is led me to taking a couple of graphic design courses, landing a few internships in London, and finally bagging my current job at Art&Graft.
I then started playing in bands, so in what seems to be quite a typical route for many graphic designers.
5. Where do you see yourself next?
In terms of place, I’m not sure. In terms of work, I really want to push character and narrative. I sometimes feel my work is lacking in story or personality, so I’d like to build upon improving that.
I sometimes feel my work is lacking in story or personality, so I’d like to build upon improving that.
6. Knowing what you know now, what would be your advice for people in the same area?
I feel pretty lucky at Art&Graft to be surrounded by people who are much more talented than I am, and I think being in that kind of environment has helped me progress substantially. My advice is to surround yourself with people better than you, so you can learn and be inspired by them. Be the dumbest person in a room full of smart people.
…and wear sunscreen.
7. Is there something you are terrible at :)?
Oh, too many things! I wish I was better at drawing, using colour, talking to people, waking up on time…
8. Tell us 3 things you like
- Animals that let me pet them.
- Objects that looks like they have faces.
9. And 3 things you don’t
- Animals that don’t let me pet them (get over yourselves)
- Alcohol-absent social situations
10. Last question, what are you listening at the moment (band, specific music or album)
I’ve always got time for a bit of Daniel Norgren and Jonathan Wilson right now.
Follow more of Mike’s work on: