Emily Suvanvej is an American Art Director specializing in papercraft and stop motion.
(All artists have to answer the same 10 questions.)
1. First and Last Name
2. Where are you from? And where are you currently living?
I was born and raised in good ol’ Portland, Oregon, but I’m currently living in East London.
3. What’s your main influences?
It changes constantly! Recently I’ve been really influenced by Miami art deco architecture and interior design. It translates really well in paper and, oh, the colors! But some specific artists that I am totally in love with, and try not to steal too much from, are: Eloisa (@elo_____), Tekla Severin (@teklan), and Peter Judson (@iampeterjudson). So much talent all around.
4. How was your path until this moment? How did you start?
My path started when I studied film & TV production at NYU. Even back in high school I always knew I wanted to be a part of this industry, but I didn’t quite know where I fit. While I was at school I interned at The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live, thinking that I wanted to go the route of producing. But it wasn’t until I graduated and got a job at Buck that things started to make sense to me. Being around that much talent and creative genius… there’s no way it won’t get in your head! So, I started thinking about what I loved, which is stop motion and paper, and also designing and creating sets. So, here I am.
Being around that much talent and creative genius… there’s no way it won’t get in your head!
5. Where do you see yourself next?
Well, I really just want to be challenged. I’m currently studying graphic design and advertising part-time, with the dream being to someday move up into a concepting/creative direction-type role, while still being able to make things. I’m currently writing a short film as well – an educational piece on AI and why we should all be terrified for the future. 🙂
6. Knowing what you know now, what would be your advice for people in the same area?
I would say just put your hands to the cutting mat and start making/experimenting. Get to know your medium, its limitations, and how you can push things. But also, please don’t forget to look up every now and then and enjoy it!
Get to know your medium, its limitations, and how you can push things.
7. Is there something you are terrible at :)?
I’m shamefully terrible at remembering faces and names of people I’ve already met. If I’ve talked to you only once or twice before, there’s a good chance I won’t remember right away. I’m really sorry in advance!
8. Tell us 3 things you like
- I like space. And not like personal space – I mean outer space. Sci-fi is my jam.
- I love working at cafes. I’m way more productive there and it’s just overall pleasant!
- Cats. Just cats all day long.
9. And 3 things you don’t
- Licorice anything.
- Certain British spelling and pronunciation of words. C’mon, guys!
- I don’t like mindless over-consumption. Just don’t do it.
10. Last question, what are you listening at the moment (band, specific music or album)
Soft Hair’s first (and only?) album.
Follow more of Emily’s work at: