Karolin Gu is an illustrator and motion designer from Sweden. Besides her cool illustrations that she brings to life she is also a Pokémaniac and creator of the tiny monsters project.
(All artists have to answer the same 10 questions.)
1. First and Last Name
2. Where are you from? And where are you currently living?
I’m born, raised and currently living in lovely Stockholm, Sweden 🇸🇪
3. What’s your main influences?
It varies from day-to-day. I like to seek inspiration from little gems in my everyday life. Everything from random people wearing kickass outfits to the fine texture of a pinecone. Oh, and I’m a huge user/addict of Instagram and Dribbble.
4. How was your path until this moment? How did you start?
As many of us, it all started with a pen and paper. Or, loads of them actually. It was my favorite thing to do as a kid, but I never thought it would be my career. I was dead set to hop on the medicine/science-train but stumbled across the school Hyper Island. That’s where my design/illustration/motion journey really took off. I basically got a bootcamp from everything within the creative industry and before I knew it, I was stuck.
I had to go through late night hours of tutorials, keyframes and pixels to catch up with my fellow classmates
I had to go through late night hours of tutorials, keyframes and pixels to catch up with my fellow classmates and at last, I got a motion internship at a creative agency in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Being the first and only motion designer there, I wanted to be part of a bigger team so I hopped back to Sweden and got a full-time position at House of Radon while pushing frames on the side. So here I’m today!
5. Where do you see yourself next?
I’m still working on that one. I want to keep evolving my style, try out new tools and mediums. Level up my skillset so I can make bigger and greater things in life!
6. Knowing what you know now, what would be your advice for people in the same area?
Breath and relax. Stop what you’re doing and look around. You might spot one of those brilliant gems outside your screen.
Stop what you’re doing and look around.
7. Is there something you are terrible at :)?
I’m the worst at speaking loudly. I don’t know if it’s my voice that blends naturally with background noises (especially in bars) but it seems that people have a hard time hearing me even when I try to raise a volume.
8. Tell us 3 things you like
- Fluffy petite things, like, who doesn’t?!
- Pokémon, every since I first saw Pikachu blasting Team Rocket away (again).
- Really warm and tight hugs. They make my heart flutter.
9. And 3 things you don’t
- Snails, those slimy sad looking creatures. YUCK.
- Jump scares in any form of medium.
- Dog-eared books. Gotta respect the fine papers!
10. Last question, what are you listening at the moment (band, specific music or album)
Currently, I’m deep into Gorillaz as I’m soon gonna watch them live for the first time! Totally in love with their new album “Humanz”.
Follow more of Karolin’s work at: