Jessica La is a Designer, Illustrator and Animator based in Los Angeles, and about to finish her last year at Otis College.
(All artists have to answer the same 10 questions.)
1. First and Last Name
2. Where are you from? And where are you currently living?
Born, raised, and currently living in San Gabriel, California, aka the 626.
3. What’s your main influences?
My work is inspired by everyday experiences, children’s books, illustrations, nature, ceramics, TV, and films!
4. How was your path until this moment? How did you start?
I started drawing when I was just a little seedling and wanted to be an artist ever since. In high school, I primarily focused on fine art drawings and paintings. After, I went straight to Otis College of Art and Design to study Motion Design. I didn’t know any digital programs so I had no idea what I was doing! My sophomore year was filled with sleepless nights trying to learn how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects. I’m finishing my last year at Otis College and am graduating in May 2018. So, my career is just beginning! There’s still a lot more learning and growing to do, but I’m very excited! 🙂
There’s still a lot more learning and growing to do, but I’m very excited! 🙂
5. Where do you see yourself next?
I see myself freelancing in the motion industry in Los Angeles or any other state or country. I love to travel, so I’d love to experience life somewhere outside of California. Besides motion, I want to dabble in book, children, and editorial illustrations. I also want to take a ceramics class!
6. Knowing what you know now, what would be your advice for people in the same area?
Keep doing you! Find what you love doing and keep working on that. Instead of comparing yourself to other artists in a negative way, use them as inspiration and try to match your quality of work to theirs.
Surround yourself with people that will push and support you to do the best you can. Find a balance with working and playing. Don’t burn yourself out. The happier you are, the better work you’ll produce!
Never stop learning! There’s always something you can work on.
Instead of comparing yourself to other artists in a negative way, use them as inspiration…
7. Is there something you are terrible at :)?
A lot of things! But the one that stands out the most is 3D. My brain just doesn’t understand it right now!
8. Tell us 3 things you like
- Nature! I’m an earth nerd and will do as much as I can to help the environment and animals.
- Dogs! Especially, mine <3
- Binging shows (currently it’s Star vs. The Forces of Evil and This Is Us)
9. And 3 things you don’t
- Hot summer nights
10. Last question, what are you listening at the moment (band, specific music or album)
I like a range: Bon Iver, HAIM, Jay Som, SZA, Vulfpeck, Post Malone
Follow more of Jessica’s work at: